Canterbury Old Synagogue
An extremely rare example of an Egyptian revival style synagogue and the only one in the UK. It is now King’s School Recital Room.
It was built on the site of a Knights Templar hospice and there still some medieval brickwork in the garden walls.
The synagogue was restored in 1889 and the only remaining original furnishings are the gallery pews.
There is an art deco feel about the synagogue, especially the door surrounds.
Next door to the Synagogue is the Old Mikveh. It was built in 1851 to match the style of the Synagogue.
Records available on Synagogue Scribes are:
SEJB : BIRTHS IN DOVER, DEAL, CANTERBURY, RAMSGATE 1831 – 1870
SEJM : MARRIAGES IN DOVER, DEAL, CANTERBURY and RAMSGATE 1831 – 1870
SEJD : DEATHS IN DOVER, DEAL, CANTERBURY and RAMSGATE 1831 – 1870
DEL : CANTERBURY CEMETERY RECORDS
Further information on Canterbury Jewish Synagogue see http://www.machadoink.com/Jewish%20Synagogue.htm
Our thanks to Tricia Baxter for providing photos.