Heneage Lane, Bevis Marks
When Henry VIII dissolved the monastries the eastern half of the town palace of the Abbot of Bury St Edmonds was given to the Duke of Norfolk and became known as Duke’s Place.The western section including the Abbot’s palace was given to Sir Thomas Heneage, becoming Heneage House and the narrow lane separating the two halves became Heneage Lane.
Despite its palatial beginings the lane was also known as Lousy Lane in 1728 and in 1831 as Innage Lane.
Upon readmission the Spainish & Portguese Synagogue was founded in Heneage Lane and a larger synagogue built there in 1676. The present building in Bevis Marks was erected in 1699.
Jewish residents of Heneage Lane, up to 1841
* individuals for whom we have found records but obviously their families may have been living there with them
Jewish residents of London - Heneage Lane,
|House No||Year||Additional |
|2 & 3||1826||1828, |
|SOLOMON, SOLOMONS||Aaron||poulterer, tallow chandler|
|6, Alms Houses||1823||SEGRE||Abigail|
|8||1833||HART||Henry||dealer in jewellery|
|20 Alms Houses,||1802||1810||SALDANA||Abigail||miliner|